Your baby's Christening day is a very special day for both parents, grand parents and the whole family, it is a time when everyone comes together to celebrate the very special new person into the family. Choosing the right people as godparents for your child is a big decision. Here are some key things which might help you decide:
- Godparents will be people who’ll be in touch with your family for many years to come. They may be relatives or friends of the family.
- They’ll be people who you know you can trust and who’ll be there for your child to talk about the bigger questions in life; questions about faith, hope and love.
- They should feel ready to make some big promises about faith for your child in church.
- Every child should have at least three godparents, two of the same sex and at least one of the opposite sex to your child. Although there is no official maximum number of godparents, three or four is usual. If you’d like more than that, talk to your vicar about the practicalities and they’ll be pleased to advise.
- Parents may be godparents for their own children, providing they have at least one other godparent.
- Because of the very special role they have in supporting your child’s faith journey, godparents must be baptized themselves. Ideally they should be confirmed too, but check with the vicar about local policy on this.
- If you’re thinking about asking someone who is under 18 to be a godparent, talk to your vicar first. There’s no minimum age for godparents, but they must be mature enough to understand the responsibilities they’re taking on; your vicar can help you decide if this is the right choice for your child and the young godparent.
Choosing which baptism outfit they will wear is also a lovely part of the preparations, some may choose an heirloom christening gown which has been passed down through their family for generations where others may prefer to purchase something new for their baby's Christening day. First Blessings Christening wear design and create a range of both traditional christening gowns and simple romper suits for little boys. Convertible christening gowns are also available to provide both traction and versatility for the baptism day. Christening bonnets, bootees, embroidered bibs and personalised shawls and blankets are also available.